European Cast Iron at the Birmingham Museum of Art.
The Gustav Lamprecht and Maurice Garbáty Collections
The Museum is proud to present a catalogue of its extraordinary collection of European cast iron, formed during the late 19th and early 20th centuries in Germany by Gustav Lamprecht (1862-1946) and Maurice Garbáty (1892-1965), and housed at the Museum since 1951. The collection includes more than 900 objects, both decorative and useful, made during the 19th century at the royal Prussian iron foundries (Gleiwitz, Berlin, Sayn), as well as at a number of private and public foundries in Germany, Austria, and Bohemia. The collection is one of the three largest in the world and is the only known collection of its kind in the United States.
The catalogue is the result of years of research undertaken by Dr. Anne Forschler-Tarrasch, The Marguerite Jones Harbert and John M. Harbert III Curator of Decorative Arts at the BMA and presents new information about the collectors and the collection. Fully illustrated, the catalogue is one of only two books on the subject published thus far in the English language.
384 pages with 994 catalogue entries and more than 1,000 illustrations,
Hardback with text in English and German
Published by the Birmingham Museum of Art in conjunction with the Verlag Willmuth Arenhövel Berlin, Germany